Alfred Street Baptist Church is the oldest Black Baptist Church in Alexandria, Virginia. Black members of the First Baptist Church in 1803 established Alfred Street Baptist Church in a neighborhood called the Bottoms in Alexandria in 1818.
When Alexandria was part of Washington, D.C., the Church started a Sabbath School for children and adults in the early 1830s. After Alexandria returned to Virginia in 1847, Alfred Street Baptist continued to run their school under strict laws that concerned the gatherings of blacks. This section will highlight some of the Alfred Street members that had impact on the history of Alexandria.