Prior to 1920, a group of concerned African American citizens which included Reverend Samuel B. Ross, Samuel Tucker, Henry Taylor, Blanche Parker Taylor and the alumni from the Hallowell and Snowden Schools pressured the City of Alexandria for a new school building. By 1920, the African American community had a new school located at Alfred and Wythe Streets. The school was named after two former principals at Snowden and Hallowell Schools, John F. Parker and Sarah A. Gray.
The First Faculty at Parker-Gray School included one principal and ten teachers in 1920.
Mr. Henry T. White – Principal – taught 7th grade
Reverend Andrew Warren (A.W.) Adkins – taught 4th and 5th grades
Mrs. Mayme Anderson – taught 5th grade
Miss Laura A. Dorsey – taught 1st grade
Mrs. Sarah D. Gray – taught 3rd grade
Mr. James E. Howard – taught 3rd grade
Mr. Rozier D. Lyles – taught 6th grade
Mrs. Susie Madden – taught 2nd grade
Mrs. Florence Murray – taught 2nd grade
Mrs. Harriet E. Thornton – taught 5th grade
Mrs. Margaret Young – taught 1st grade